Saturday, February 9, 2008

At least I won't be mistaken for a moose and shot




This is some pre-dyed romney fleece I bought on Trademe, in a colourway named Autumn. In the photos it looked darker, more rust-coloured. When it arrived and I opened it up, my first thought was "Holy crap, that's orange." Not quite blaze orange, but it's close. The photograph doesnt' come close to showing how rich the colour is.

As I spin it up (four hanks so far), it's growing on me. It's coming out as a very attractive burnt orange tweed, somewhere between dk and aran weight.


With a kilo of the stuff there will be enough for practically anything, and I'm tending towards making something along the lines of Jodi Green's Durrow, but with a zip front. All those decisions can wait - there's still about 750 grams to be spun, and a bobbin of unplied singles.
In the mail yesterday was 100g of superwash-treated natural cream merino. The plan is to spin sock yarn, and experiment with dying it. As usual, I haven't quite worked out the finer details of this plan, and need to decide whether to dye the fleece or the completed yarn.





No comments: